Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Losing Gabe



This is kind of a prayer request. On July 4th my pastor's 17 year old son, Gabe died from injuries sustained in a car accident. I've know the Brewer's for over nine years since we joined Rock Springs Church. Gabe was the kind of kid that was always smiling. In the last few years I really haven't been that close to him. We kind of just said good morning as he would walk past the mission table on Sunday mornings. Sometimes he might stop and ask about my brother who he met when we went on a mission trip together 3 years ago. Even though I haven't been that close to Gabe in recent years, losing him has just hit me like a ton of bricks. I am writing about it because I want you to know that our church really needs your prayers...every day...every hour. If you are a believer, even if you don't know Gabe, I am asking you not to go on with your lives without constantly praying.

If I, who really hadn't been that close to Gabe in recent years, am grieving then I cannot even fathom what his family is feeling. There are some days when it overwhelms me with sorrow. I wonder when the tears will stop. I wonder if I cry in the shower will anyone know. I force myself to put one foot in front of the other because I can't lay in bed all day. I force myself to do things with the kids even when I don't feel like it. I fill my pockets with tissues because I never know when the tears will flow. I can't listen to the song lyrics at church because I can't bear it.

I'm telling you this so that you will pray. If I feel this way then I can't even describe how the Brewers are feeling. I know others at our church and in our community are grieving also. We grieve, not as those who have no hope, but still the pain is great. It would be so much worse if we didn't know that Gabe was in glory with God right now. He'll never have to feel pain or sorrow again. Thank you Lord. To know how to find this kind of peace go here.

The Bible says “ Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work. If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up.” Ecclesiastes 4:9-10 Will you help us up? Pray. Thank you.

No comments: